Hey-Ai Chat

Check out the Hey-Ai discord / chat here !

Asian men perceptions around the world

• David78
  • David78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #292052 by David78
Asians people (men) are almost all around the world.
Since I started to travel a lot, I notice that the perception of Asian men can differ by country. I'm curious to read your opinion about it.

I was born in France and I grew up in a rural area, not too far than Paris. I was the only Asian boy until high school, and I think it was a pretty good advantage. Things were pretty good with girls, I dated a lot of white girls without trying too hard. Some people may say bad comments about your origin, but it's only idiots and a minority.

After high school, things change a little bit, because I had to study in Paris. I don't have a good connection with Paris. Paris is very different than the suburd. Sometimes I like Paris, sometimes I hate this city. That's why I never find good friends or girlfriends in Paris... Mostly because I feel I don't fit in this city.

But overall, I think French people are very tolerant about Asian people. Idiots are everywhere, but if you have correct social skills, if you are good looking, you'll have no problem in France.

I traveled in a lot of places, but I didn't stay long enough to have a good opinion about some countries. But I think,

Germany seems to be a very good place for Asian men. I was approached by pretty german girls in Munich, Budapest and NYC. And I often have very good relationship with german people usually.
I've just been in Austria a few days, but the perception of asian people seems the same.

Budapest was a weird experience. It's very ambivalent. I met some curious people but I also feel some hostility. I had some arguments in a bar with some locals men, police checked my ID everytime at night...

Tallinn, Estonia. Asians people are almost non existent, there are very few tourists, so we are very rare. I felt very welcomed by Estonian people (men or women), they want to know more about you and some girls may flock you...

Northern Europe. I think that Sweden and Denmark are very open toward Asians people. They are very tolerant, polite and sometimes curious. I think a lot of people from Scandinavia have an interest about Asian culture. In fact, I met so many Swedish people when I traveled in Asia.
Finland is a little bit different. People are more quiet and shy, so I struggled to have some interaction with locals when I was in Finland...

I've been in Taïwan and Hong Kong. Being a Asian born French, I feel half local / half stranger. Not a really good feeling, because you'll not be considered as a local, and you'll not benefit the same hospitality than white people.

Sorry if my english is lame :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #292057 by everywhere
individual experiences vary. you hardly derive any accurate conclusion based on only 1 person's experiences, even though i've been traveling all around the world almost non-stop (if you don't count 2-3 months out of a year in the usa as stops) for 4 years now. i've been to 55 countries on 4 continents (europe, north america, asia and oceania). i spend months to years in many countries accumulatively, meaning i'm in and out many same countries over and over again.

for example, i've been to poland for about 40+ times in the last 4 years and stayed there for a total of about 2.3 years out of the 4 years. i found it is the best place i feel like home among the 55 countries.

i've been to budapest about 15 times as well. i was never stopped my the police there in anyway. i had a few encounters in poland with the police, but they were always very polite and professional to me. i like the polish police. i had general positive or better experiences in just about every country than in the usa, uk, ireland, spain, austria and germany. i listed these 6 countries as negativer only because i had several negative incidents in each one of these 6 countries. i don't consider that i can judge the people there over all with these incidents. i'm sharing these simply because you mentioned some countries in your original posting.

• David78
  • David78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #292071 by David78
Replied by David78 on topic Asian men perceptions around the world
Yes of course. It's only my experience and I wanted to share it and I'll be glad to hear more about it. Our experience will depend of our behaviour, our look or our personnality. ;) Like I say, I didn't stay long enough in these places to have a good opinion. I don't want to take conclusion or judge people, but just to tell my impression. I think, you have to stay a few years to have a good opinion about one place.

But to be honest, I think that some countries, some parts of the world are more receptive to Asian culture than others. ;)
And it's the same for every culture or skin colors... :ohmy:

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #292072 by everywhere
that could be true, but i spend months or weeks in most of the countries i've been to. only in the usa, canada, poland and china, i've spent years. i think most people don't even have as much information as i do. i doubt i have a good reliable picture of any countries except these 4. therefore, the effectiveness of anyone (including mine)'s opinion in this exercise is probably going to be very limited.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by everywhere.

• Vertigo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #294606 by Vertigo
Replied by Vertigo on topic Asian men perceptions around the world
I got the impression that something very strange happens to Diaspora Asian men in the Anglosphere. There is a panethnicity, and they identify with a strange mixture of race & gender ideas.

They do not self-identify with gender roles that China, Japan and South-Korea offer them for the public sphere. The institution of family and the civil society seems to fall apart to create men for the public service. They stick to private life and have no drive to make a name of oneself in public life.

Usually, men are socialized in homesocial circles around sport clubs, youth culture, intellectual movements and political clubs. I miss passion and the will to overpower all sorts of injustice.

It makes no sense for me. The socioeconomic data tells me that they got great preconditions to redefine what is possible in human life. They have everything but they cannot realize it.

More
10 years 4 months ago #294667 by Jack cheng
cantonese are almost all around the world I was very surprised Most Chinese people overseas are Taiwan fujian guangdong and Hong Kong

More
10 years 4 months ago #294669 by Jack cheng
I rarely see overseas North Asia people (appearance ) and Central Asia people ( appearance)

• iloodmik
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #294709 by iloodmik
Replied by iloodmik on topic Asian men perceptions around the world
Short (Most asians are short like 5'7 on average)
Smart (Nothing negative about this)
Nerds (TRUE)
Shy (TRUE)
Non-sexual (Not true but its because of shyness)
Small penis (It's true get over it we are on average smaller but 0.3 inches barely make any difference)
Ugly looking (In all seriousness i think east-asians men ON AVERAGE is the most unattractive looking out of the bunch maybe expect indians).

Majority of it are sterotypes but they do exist for a reason. We are the least wanted race in America, but if you live in California and have that certain "look" you can pull alot of girls of other races.

Most girl's who are into asians are looking for Koreans or Japanese that's what i noticed it's probably because of the Kpop wave and Anime(Japanese)
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by iloodmik.

• califmediziner
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #294721 by califmediziner
Replied by califmediziner on topic Asian men perceptions around the world

The richer and more educated countries with similar values like being honest, productive and thrifty tend to be more favorable not just tolerant. Asians are known to hardly ever whine and people seem to like that. It takes a certain level of toughness to endure and overcome hardship when others would give up.

If you have a musical talent, you will have better luck.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by califmediziner.

• Vertigo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #294807 by Vertigo
Replied by Vertigo on topic Asian men perceptions around the world
This is surprising for you ? China special economic zones are tailored to attract Overseas Chinese capital, because a few Chinese family dominate the private sector of ASEAN countries economies. Most Overseas Chinese are originally from Fujian and Guangdong and they emigrated during the colonial era to the ASEAN countries, South America and North America.

The fate of this millenium depends upon a good relationship with the Oversea Chinese to advance further economic and political integration of the world region East Asia and the Pacific rim.